Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Quest For Perfect Mashed Potatoes

The Quest For Perfect Mashed Potatoes:
IMG_5550
I recently attended a wonderful wine tasting called the Seattle Food and Wine Experience. This annual event features producers from Washington, Oregon and California, along with brewers and hand-crafted distillers.
The dazzling lineup is complemented by impressive food from some of the regions' best chefs, who create dishes designed to pair with wine. One of the most memorable bites I tried was from the mashed potato bar, a lineup of several types of spuds simply smashed and topped with various savories.
I absolutely love mashed potatoes. It was a big bummer when that trend faded away, making way for all manner of mac-and-cheese. But I make them often at home, especially with St. Patrick's Day on the horizon. Can't fight the Irish in my family tree.
I've tried various approaches, cranking them through ricers, using old-fashioned mashers, even pulsing them in the food processor. But nothing works quite as well as my trusty hand mixer. The trick is not to over-whip or they turn glue-y. I don't mind a few lumps.
And when it comes to the liquid to mash them with? I've tried cream and buttermilk. Olive oil and stock work just fine. But whole milk seems to lead to the fluffiest mashed potatoes. And if they're seasoned just right, with a generous pinch or two of sea salt, then all I really need to complete this picture of happiness is a little butter on top.
-- Leslie Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment